Amherst Writers and Artists is a writing organization founded on the belief that everyone is a writer and supports practiced and emerging voices through a proven workshop method.
The Five AWA Essential Affirmations
The AWA Method is based in the following philosophy.
- Everyone has a strong, unique voice.
- Everyone is born with creative genius.
- Writing as an art form belongs to all people.
- The teaching of craft can be done without damage to a writer’s original voice or artistic self-esteem.
- A writer is someone who writes.
The Five AWA Essential Practices
- 1. Everyone’s writing, including the leader’s, is treated with equal respect and value.
2. Writing is kept confidential and treated as fiction.
3. Writers can refrain from reading their work aloud.
4. Responses to just-written work reflect what is strong and successful.
5. Responses and exercises support the development of literary craft.